I was mad because I was hungover, sad because I did it to myself and disappointed because I let it happen to me yet again. This was an average post holiday weekend feeling for me and I didn’t like it one bit.
What did I do?
I started to practice mindfulness when it came to my partying habits and my epic hangovers became a thing of the past. Hallelujah!!
Here are some simple tips for conscious party animals who want to enjoy adult beverages this holiday weekend without getting hungover because hangovers suck. If you have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol, the following advice is not for you.
Here’s what you can do:
- Purchase a milk thistle tincture (available at most health food stores and online) and take it mixed with water in a shot glass before consuming alcohol for liver support.
- Drink a lot of water and then drink a little more.
- Make your first drink a non-alcohol one. My personal favorite is club soda with a splash of pineapple and a lime.
- Before consuming each adult beverage take a pause. Ask yourself, “How will this make me feel tomorrow if I drink it?” If the answer is good, drink it. If it’s not, pass. If you’re not so good with self-accountability, ask a friend who you trust to post this question to you.
- If you’re headed to a party, bring your own shot glass if you’re a liquor drinker. Use it to measure. I like to put 1/4-3/4 a shot mixed with a lot of mixer.
- If going to a bar is in your plans, ask the bartender to make your drinks super weak. I’ve been known to ask for club with a splash of tequila. Another tip is to order a drink straight up with a full glass of mixer. Spike your drink with a little bit of the liquor so you have a full night’s worth of drinks in your hand, but only one drink of liquor consumed.
Which tip with you implement this weekend? Leave a comment and let me know.
The wild in me sees the wild in you,